Friday, November 19, 2010

The Goose is getting fat......

I'm gonna try to put a penny in an old man's hat.  The season is coming, yes, Christmas!!!!!  My daughter asked what scheme I was up to this year.  I asked her what she meant.  She reminded me of past Christmases and how I tried to get people involved with giving of themselves instead of stuff.  Sometimes it succeeded but it never became tradition. 

So this is my new "scheme" there is a young family I know (actually they are related to me) and money is tight and they have two little kids and a mom with disabilities.  I do not have the abilities to change any of that and buying gifts seems......well, too common. 

The other day while talking to the mom she mentioned her husband would love for her to decorate the house but she doesn't trust her craft ability and climbing on a ladder is not possible.   That's when it hit me!  I would come in and decorate their house for the family.  It would be a way of blessing the whole family to make it fun and magical.  I could use my frugality with my crafting abilities and make the stuff as well as incorporate help from friends to really do it up.   I am giddy with excitement.

 These are the things I've been working on....




I went to the dollar store and gathered supplies.


I have achieved 2 dollar store hurricane vase things  With filler.
I would tell you how but it's too easy.  Glue a candlestick to the bottom of vase.
Then fill with stuff.  I used some scrap paper as a ribbon.
I am going to stick with the basic red, green and white colors and make that the theme.
Got a few more things to make so will be posting them.
I love using the gifts given to me by God to help others.

4 comments:

  1. You truly encompass the spirit of Christmas along with craftiness! I'm sure they will be ecstatic when you get it all done! Such a thoughtful gesture is very heartwarming. I'm so glad you shared this at my Holiday Hookup and I hope you will inspire others to reach out and be a blessing to someone else!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Kat :) I do hope it inspires people to give of their heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, Bambi, and you sure got a lot of bang for your buck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Sunny :) it was so much fun too. Makes me want to start a group and find families to do it for every year. hmmmm what an idea :D

    ReplyDelete